Marketing and Investing in Real Estate for Beginners
Wondering how to become a real estate agent? It's a great time to make the leap — existing home sales are expected to rise 8 percent in 2015, according to Kiplinger. Real estate agents need great people skills, boundless energy, and a lot of creativity to stand out in the crowd. If that's you, here's how to become a real estate agent.
Becoming a Real Estate Agent Varies By State
Each state will have its own requirements for how to become a real estate agent.
Be aware that there will be fees for classes, testing, and licenses. Most states require you to have a criminal background check and be fingerprinted before issuing your license. Again, the cost for these requirements comes out of your pocket, so be sure to plan accordingly.
Standard "How to Become a Real Estate Agent" Steps:
- Know the requirements for your state.
- Pre-licensing education requirements for your state need to be fulfilled before your license exam. Look to community colleges or real estate agencies that offer courses, or choose a school online.
- After completing your pre-licensing courses, you will need to sign up to take the licensing exam.
TIP: Pay attention to the requirements and timeline of the exams. For example, if you need to be fingerprinted before the test, know how much time it will take.
- Pass the exam! Congratulations! You're on your way to being licensed.
- New real estate agents are required to spend time working under a real estate broker. The amount of time you spend is determined by your state.
Before you go through the process of becoming a real estate agent, take some time to investigate what working in the industry is all about. You have the potential to make a lot of money, but don't kid yourself—you'll work hard for every nickel.
If you're using digital marketing right, marketing will be a big part of your success story, but here are some other very important skills to develop:
- Time Management. Never has there been a career like real estate for pulling you in a thousand different directions. Organize time for tasks, set a routine and don't forget to incorporate your personal life.
- Community Engagement. Great real estate agents are masters at building relationships in their community.
- Apply Technology. No successful business can ignore the Internet. Check out our blog for some tech tips on leveraging digital marketing.
Learning how to become a real estate agent is the first step, but becoming a successful real estate agent is the ultimate goal.